Saturday 24 September 2011

Return, and D&D

This'll be the third introduction post I've made. Fun Fact #1 - These make up more than a quarter of my posts! Fun Fact #2 - I'm shit at blogging!

This time I'm gonna be more realistic. I'm gonna aim for a post every two days, a lengthier post every week. Maybe. We'll see. I need to work it round my new university schedule. I've got a few ideas kicking about so, at the very least, this should stay afloat for a bit longer than last time, which was a dismal failure.

Onto more topical news - Dungeons and Dragons! Or rather, not the pen and paper game itself, but the various videogames based on it. Good Old Games is having a sale on 9 of the 'classic' D&D games. These stretch from the classics (Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series, Neverwinter Nights Platinum), to the cult classics (Planescape, The Temple of Elemental Evil). There's also a few relative unknowns that never quite reached the lofty heights of cult classic-dom - Dragonshard and Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone, which, to the best of my memory, doesn't actually feature demons.

I cannot personally attest to the quality of Temple of Elemental Evil or Dragonshard, but the others are all fantastic RPGs (or hack-and-slash games in the case of Demon Stone). Some of the games on sale here are generally considered among the most prestigious RPGs out there, and the others are all high quality. Of course, the best are, undoubtedly the Baldur's Gate series and the fantastically unique Planescape, but the others are definitely worth a look, and are just as capable of eating up countless hours.

Be aware, though, these games are dated. The graphics are very simplistic nowadays, and the isometric viewpoint can be rather disorienting to those more accustomed to modern, 3D graphics. The gameplay can be rather slow at times, and the story-focus can drag compared to modern games. Trust me, these are fantastic games, but they are old and a world away from modern games. The sale itself is interesting, with the more you buy the more you save, which has some potential. Find the sale here, it's on until the end of Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment